Tuesday, December 21, 2010

317am

Did anyone stay up to watch the 2010 Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse?

It occurred on the East coast between the hours of 1am and 5am, with the best time to view said to be at 3:17am.

I had set my alarm for 3:10am with the hopes of feeling well enough to wake up but when the alarm rang, I decided that sleep was more precious since 1. I had to be up {and functioning} in 3 hours for work and 2. I haven't been feeling well this week, and 3. it was entirely too cold to even think about getting out of my warm bed.

I figured I would try to catch it on YouTube, at least some highlights... I was even going to upload a video on here, but alot of the videos that people uploaded seem to be in violation of the site's terms of use.

{via google}

The Solar Systems has always fascinated me. One of my fondest memories of my childhood is when my mom purchased a telescope for me when I was in middle school for Christmas. I remember trudging through the backwoods fields with her on freezing cold nights to catch a meteor shower or try and connect the constellations. I even remember one time, she found Saturn! I will never forget viewing the rings through that tiny telescope lens. It was thrilling!

If you missed this eclipse, the next viewable one in North America will be in December 2011!

3 comments:

AnieLii said...

I tried to watch it as well. But it was supper cloudy... and raining too. Nice blog by the way :)

Nicole Marie said...

it's been pouring here so we couldn't see it :(

cynthia gayle said...

I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THIS HAPPENING!!!!ARGH I wanted to see it so bad!! Thanks for the photo though!